Sunday, March 20, 2011

Bright Tights, Big City.


Color is big for Spring. Marimekko for H&M scarf, Essie Bright Tights nail polish

A few things you may not know about me:
- I enjoy Jay McInerney (hence the blog title reference, in case you didn't catch that)
- I run (and not just to sales, like in the park and races and stuff)
- I speak un peu de Francais
- I love New York
- Along with Liz, I resolved that in 2011 I would do more interesting things

On that last note, I have to say we have been very successful so far, and this weekend was no exception. As a single girl in this city, I am an expert at keeping myself busy. When you live alone in a studio apartment, you have to make a concerted effort to tear yourself off the couch and away from the TV if you want to make sure you have an active and interesting social life. I am involved in a charity, I joined a Trivia League, I am about to start training for my second half marathon, and am attempting to complete 9 races so I have guaranteed entry for the NYC marathon in 2012. I may enjoy shopping and makeup, but there is more to me than just that, and I consider myself to be quite the well-rounded individual.

If you love streetstyle as I do, you owe it to yourself to see "Bill Cunningham: New York." Enjoy watching the trailer here. Danielle and I had a fashion date on Friday that included the documentary viewing at Film Forum and then some signature cocktails at Kingswood. From beautiful clothes to beautiful men, it was a very successful evening. If I could have a fashion "goal" before I leave New York, it would be to be photographed by The Sartorialist or Bill Cunningham. Now that I've seen the movie, and what a loveable guy Mr. Cunningham seems to be, I might move him to the top of my list. Can you imagine seeing yourself in the Sunday Style section? Guh, amazing.

Saturday was a much needed lazy day complete with TV, errands with Antonia, and evening laundry. Oh, and the Supermoon of course! Gothamist has much better pics than I did, but here is my attempt anyway:


Looks like a regular moon

Sunday, on the other hand, was jam-packed with excitement. I woke up early and well rested, got myself together slowly, then went for a 3 mile run. I managed a great time without any leg pain so I was already off to a good start. Came home, showered, and got ready to meet Liz at noon.

First stop was Diablo Royale for what I thought was an unlimited bloody mary brunch. Turns out bloodies were not included in the special, but we got them anyway (and a large diet coke of course). The food was good and the vibe was fun, despite our server being a bit of a jerk. We enjoyed ourselves nonetheless, then set off for Soho to check out the color blocking options at Zara. Because really, what is a day or a blog post without a little fashion lesson. Colorblocking is all over the place this season, and I'm pretty obsessed with the idea. Probably because I own a TON OF BLACK for work and I'm sick of having a wardrobe full of boring neutrals.


Photo from Refinery29

I tried on a few things for fun, but nothing worked, which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. A few random stores later, we stopped in Madewell, and on the sale rack I came upon an item that will be the perfect fit for a gaping hole in my wardrobe that I have been trying to fill for the past three years: the flowy chiffon skirt. I have been dying to wear one with loose sweaters and tough accessories. While the Madewell website claims a price $98, I got 25% off the already reduced price, and paid $55 including tax. Steal!


Photo from Madewell.com

A little more wandering, and some Peanut Butter Oreo ice cream at Emack & Bolio's it was time to brush up on our American film classics with "Taxi Driver" at Film Forum. Twice in one weekend, a record!



While saying that I liked the movie seems strange and wrong, I am glad I saw it. It is incredibly well acted, and it is always interesting to see what New York was like in the 1970s. Now, if you count how many times I used the word "interesting" in this post, you would see how successful this weekend clearly was. To squeeze in a little more productivity, I hit up the grocery store on my way home, and now I must attempt to cook for the week and repaint my nails. Not because I don't LOVE the neon orange, but because it seems to already be chipping.

And with that, I bid adieu. Goodnight Supermoon. Good Night readers. Good Night New York.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are so interesting! Although I'm really disappointed in our Zara failures. There is MUCH colorhunting left to be done this spring.