Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Hook, Line, and Sweater

Despite another 61 degree high today, predictions indicate that starting tonight, New York City is finally going to see some seasonably appropriate weather. (Why yes, I am quite preoccupied with the temperature these days, thanks for noticing!) Thankfully that means it is finally sweater time, are you ready? Let's get cozy!

I love sweaters, which may sound like fashion déjà vu. The bigger and baggier, the better. My winter uniform subsists almost exclusively on the sweater/legging combination, and I am proud of it! But you don't have to be a card carrying member of the Leggings Fan Club to pull on a pinafore. Sweaters can be worn with anything: pants, skirts, even over dresses! But you knew that already. And while I have a soft spot for most sweater styles (how's that for an almost alliteration?), I have recently become obsessed with the fisherman. No no silly readers, not fisherman like Gorton's, fisherman like the sweater! Did you not see where I was going with this? I mean, I wouldn't deny that a husky country man is sexy...

I tried really hard to find a picture of an actual man fishing in a sweater but all I found was this dude with a wistful look...

::cough::

Moving on! While I certainly I wouldn't put up a fight if someone gave me these lust-worthy items...


...what my heart adores, my wallet abhors!

The super budget babe might make one of these herself ....but I probably definitely won't. And if you are, like I am, challenged in the knitting department (I tried to crochet once; I have the wonky scarf as evidence), I instead have found purchasable options a-plenty at a wide variety of price points and retailers.






1st Row L-R: Bloomingdales, Asos
2nd Row L-R: MICHAEL Michael Kors, Zara

3rd Row: J. Crew
4th Row L-R: Gap, Asos, Topshop


- Note the color blocking and raglan sleeve on the Zara sweater. One can never get enough of a raglan sleeve. $80

- J. Crew: Can't mess with a classic...or a sale! $78

- I keep eying the Gap sweater on-line and in stores. Not to mention I have a rewards certificate burning a whole in my pocket. And while I can't find the image to prove it, I'm pretty sure it was worn in a Lucky magazine fashion spread. $60

- The brown Asos is great if you prefer a looser fit. Nerd glasses optional, but strongly encouraged. $55

- That cute Topshop in the gorgeous blue is on sale for $30. 'Nuf said.

- More "I keep having issues with these damn .gif files" (can someone help me with this please?) picture-less links. Because we all know I love men...erm, men's sweaters: L.L. Bean $129. Or if you prefer to wear women's clothes, head on over to Lands' End for this version $89

Remember to balance out the preppy with edgy accessories and/or a bold manicure.

See anything you like? Now is the time to reel that sucker in.

Ed Note: You are right, you did see the fisherman sweater in Fall 2010 magazine issues! But always remember, personal expression knows no trends. Not to mention that recycling is always in style. Green is the new black, right?

No comments: