Sunday, May 18, 2008

Skinny Jeans

No, I'm not talking about the pair of jeans that hides in the back of your closet from when you used to be 10 pounds thinner that you keep there just in case you get back to that "goal" weight. I'm talking about what I like to refer to as "denim leggings." What is funny though, is that I never thought twice about jumping on the leggings bandwagon 2 years ago, but when it came to skinny jeans, I was deathly afraid.

I am not going to lie, I have big thighs. I am not sure if I always had big thighs, but I can not seem to remember a day beyond middle school that I did not feel they were larger than I would have preferred. Nonetheless, I dressed them appropriately and never thought twice about it. Until skinny jeans came into the picture.

Now that I think about it, I may have stopped wearing jeans around the time when flared and boot cut went out and skinny took their place. I switched over to dresses and leggings and forgot about the 5 pairs sitting--untouched--in my closet. I kept promising to buy a new pair when I had an extra discount, or I lost a few pounds. I never lost those few pounds.

For some reason, however, last weekend I decided to take a risk. I tried on almost every pair of skinny jeans I saw hanging on the racks at Bloomingdale's, and prepared myself for disappointment. Shockingly, when I put on Seven's "Roxanne" style, I realized I looked cute! My hips and thighs didn't look oversized compared to my ankles and feet! The stretch meant that my legs weren't suffocated by denim! The waist wasn't too tight or too big! It was a skinny jean miracle.

So there I was, two years later, purchasing a pair. And I have to say, I'm more than mildly excited.


EXTRA TIP: To get denim hemmed on a budget, check out tailors on the Lower East Side. Most do it while you wait, and can cost as little as $4!!

1 comment:

Thomas said...

I'm shocked, too! But I'm thrilled for you.